Question: I always wonder how people interpret signs from God. How do you know? It’s a hard thing to describe. What do you think?-Cocoa Popps, NYC
As Iyanla Vanzant said at a the Hay House conference, “It all begins in the mind.” How people interpret signs from God, a look from a stranger or even street signs on any given street…begins from each and every individual’s own mind. So before we can look at how we may interpret signs from God, we have to look at ourselves more closely.
These core beliefs that create the way we see the world are learned from our families, culture and personal experience. The key here is that they are learned and can be unlearned when they don’t serve our highest and most fabulous good.
Ask yourself: How do I see the world? What do I believe about life? Do I believe in love? Do I believe that it’s supposed to hurt? What defines success for me? What is my belief and relationship to God? The way we define anything has an impact on how we define everything. Our beliefs color our lens and our thoughts, feelings, reactions and experience will become self-fulfilling prophecies.
Do you think that you exist in a fundamentally benevolent world? Or do you believe deep in your heart that it’s a cruel, do-eat-dog existence? Is your version of God, loving and kind? Or punishing?
What we believe…is inevitably what we perceive. This will affect how we define, experience and react what we may call signs from God. For example if the world is a frightening place were there is not enough for everyone a pink slip from a job can seem to be the end of the world. It can make someone wonder/believe they if they were betrayed by a co-worker, an employer or even God.
Another person, trusting in the Universe’s benevolence might be surprised at first, even worried and then decide that its God’s way of saying, “Your time here is done. Take some time off and explore options that may make you happier.”
If your worldview includes that the world is to end in 2012, every earthquake, all political unrest and each piece of disturbing nightly news feeds into your belief as “signs” that the world is ending. If you believe that God is kind and this Universe is benevolent you may very well notice greater kindness in the Universe, more people meditating, an overall increased spiritual awareness in the world that may be signs to you that our Earthly existence is going thru a consciousness shift rather than a “physical end.”
For example, I believe that I am a child of God and that the Universe is conspiring towards my outrageous success! So when it’s time for me to leave a situation, or someone calls me with an opportunity, I see it as a sign and explore it! It doesn’t mean that its not scary but I trust the Universe and while it may not look exactly the way I thought it would…my signs lead me to greater peace and joy.
How to receive and understand a sign from God:
1. Breathe deeply: Take several deep breaths. Allow yourself to truly breathe. So often we do not let ourselves breathe deeply because we fear feeling our feelings.
2. Feel however you feel: Allow yourself in this moment to just feel however you feel as you breathe deeply.
3. Allow yourself to be present: Close your eyes. Gently allow yourself to be present and release attachments to the past and worries of the future. Bring your full attention into the present moment.
4. Pray: One of my favorite prayers, ”Dear God/Goddess/Ganesha/Great Spirit help me to believe the truth about myself – no matter how beautiful it is!”- M. Wiederehr
5. Ask for answers: Most religions and spiritual paths express the idea, “Ask & you shall receive.” Dear God/Goddess/Great Spirit please help me see, know, understand and act on your signs as inspiration for my highest good.”
6. Trust: Know that as you quiet your mind, connect to yourself and open to your divine connection, that the prayers and asking has reached its sacred mark.
7. Pay attention: Watch, listen, breathe and allow yourself to be still. Is what you are sensing as a sign of God bringing you to greater peace? Is it filling you with hope? Is it unsettling in the moment because it asks that you release or let go of something that you want to hold on to? Imagine that you are brave enough to go through the changes… do you see the light at the end of the tunnel? Remember that in order to bring in what you are wanting, whether true love, great friends, new clothes or a successful career…we must be ready to let go of what no longer serves us. Not because it is “bad” simply because it has served you as well as it could and now as you are evolving, so are the relationships, jobs and experiences that you are having.
And remember if you don’t like the way things feel in your world…you can always change your mind.
Smiles & Spirit,